Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Hooray!

Last night I had an IM conversation with the writer of Micifus. Of course it's always nice to make new friends, but this is exciting to me for a couple of reasons. 1) It means I'm starting to get traffic on my blog (yay!); and 2) I have someone else to talk to who went through what I am.

Nick's support is invaluable to me, but he came out almost 10 years ago. I have to wonder if over that long period of time, he may have forgotten exactly how scary it was. As observed by that great philosopher, Mrs. Doubtfire, over time, the bad seems to fade away as the good adheres itself to our memory. I really do appreciate the advice and encouragement I get from others who are coming out or recently out. What's more, I find reading the blogs of those coming out to be very useful. It's comforting, at least to some degree, to know that others felt (almost exactly!) the kinds of things I feel now. Although Micifus Phil has stopped writing, I am glad that he took the time to blog his experiences so I can read them now.

2 comments:

Matt said...

Yeah, that, and he's totally adorable. :)

Anonymous said...

Yeah... I can't speak to that long. It's been two years for me and I can still remember and feel the shaking fear from the first time I came out to someone... it's intensity has not been forgotten. But I still feel a twinge of that nervousness every time now, whether I do it in an individual setting or to a whole group. For me there's always that nervousness of how people are going to react.