Saturday, March 3, 2007

Ann Coulter, attention whore

Sorry I haven't been writing lately, I have a big project deadline that has been hanging over me lately. But then Ann Coulter did something that made the perfect topic for my blog.

Ann Coulter's latest stunt of making a joke suggesting that John Edwards is a "faggot" has got some people up in arms. Here's the thing:

1) Only those who agree with her will listen to what she has to say to begin with.

2) In order to get attention from the others, she says what she has to say outrageously.

3) It works. The Left will tear her apart with the slightest provocation; this for an example.

4) The Right sees this, and give her even more attention

5) See "2)"

Michael Moore, Al Franken, Rush Limbaugh, John Stewart, Bill O'Reilly all do the same thing for their respective audiences.

"But, Pink Elephant" you say aghast, "Are you defending her for what she said?"

No, rather I am doing a bit of eye rolling at everyone involved in this. Ann Coulter is shamelessly trying to get attention, and the Left is more than happy to give it to her.

Another thing that I roll my eyes at are people who think regulating "hate speech" will somehow change the prejudices of those who use it. I'll bet my right arm that forcing a bigot to moderate his (or her) speech only creates a resentment that fuels the prejudice to begin with. Besides aren't there more pressing issues (like marriage) than the words people use?

In other news: Looking back on some of my old posts, I get a sort of "woe-is-me" vibe that I do not intend. I'm not all that melancholy, I swear. I guess I usually only get motivated to blog when I am unhappy about something. From now on, I am going to try to blog about the good stuff too.

I had a really good day today. I got all the work done I had planned to do. The weather was beautiful so I ran 2 miles. I watched several episodes of Arrested Development. And now I am enjoying a quiet Saturday night at home after a crazy Friday night out (from which I somehow escaped a hangover!).

No comments: