Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Just Be Me

I've owned this song for about a year now, and it seems perfectly suited for coming out. First of all, it has a stereotypically gay electronic dance beat. But more importantly, the song speaks so perfectly to coming out that I suspect it was intended to be a coming out song (I'm not trying to imply that Kirsty Hawkshaw is a lesbian, just perhaps that she is sensitive to what we gay folks go through sometimes). Indeed, I sort of consider Just Be Me to be my personal coming out anthem and often listen to it to remind myself what this whole thing is about.



5 comments:

Pete said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Pete said...

Yes! Kirsty Hawkshaw! She's my favourite. Do you own Meta-message?

O.U.T. is also a very nice album...

Unfortunately, this is the somewhat cheap version of my fellow countryman Tiesto (a homo if there ever was one). The original is on the album, was on the Nip/Tuck soundtrack (I think). Lyrics are by Judy Tzuke, I think.

My own anthem is Tracey Thorn's Grand Canyon though... "step out of the woods into the light".

Pink Elephant said...

Actually I own 2 versions: the Tiesto extended version and the Nip/Tuck soundtrack version.

I tend to favor the 4 minute nip/tuck version to the 10 minute extended version because of my music ADD (I barely listen to whole songs as it is).

Pete said...

I think there's still a very nasty loop in the original version - it sounds as if they have just played it back one more time to make it last longer. I prefer the version without the cheapo trance.

Tim in the South said...

I was going to say I own "The Isty-Bitsy Spider", but that seems pointless now...