Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Out at work

I had mentioned in my Timetable post (although i have rearranged some things) that this summer I would test the waters of being out. Well, I officially came out to Firm. I had been emailing a bit back and forth with a young associate (whom I'll refer to as C.) in the firm who is out as gay. C. told me that the firm is very accepting of GLBT employees and actually has received very high ratings in that regard. My firm explicitly includes sexual orientation in its non-discrimination policy and includes same-sex domestic partners in its benefit plans. C.'s own experience was that everyone is very supportive and encouraging, but only want to make sure that he is comfortable. C. encouraged me to let the diversity folks know, and today I did just that. I did mention that I don't want to make a big deal out of my orientation, but I thought the firm might like to know for its diversity numbers. Because I do want maintain a modicum of professionalism, my orientation hasn't come up with my colleagues ("Working hard there, Pink Elephant?" "Why yes, and did you also know that I am gay?"). When it does, however, I pledge to you, dear readers, that I will be forthright and honest about it.

Anyway, since I am at least 500 miles from my family, I also don't think it will hurt if I check out the upcoming Gay Pride events in my city.

P.S. I inadvertently ruined my laptop power cord, so in an effort to save my battery, my posts for the next week or so may be a little more sporadic than usual.

6 comments:

Matt said...

i want to know what firm you're at! email me. debrieftheboys@gmail.com

Anonymous said...

Pink, you (and Matt) are being quite elusive. You're not maintaining any sort of time line of your lives. Matt probably graduated but there was no mention, and I just assume that he's back in LA. You should have finished your exams and maybe even moved back home for the sumner. Hey guyz, how 'bout fill in the gaps a little and leave less to conjecture. Your public wants to know!!!

Anyway, I'm really happy about the coming out at the office.

Anonymous said...

Pink!

I can't believe you ruined your cord. Now who the hell is going to keep me up half the night?

Anonymous said...

Congratulation! Well done.

Pink Elephant said...

Icon, I'm sorry. It seems that when you go to law school you become a snob (and I was one to begine with!), so I just ASSUMED everyone knew how it works.

In law school you spend your summers working in the field, most wanting to work for firms (they pay!), and your second summer job is basically a summer long interview, both of the student and of the firm. The student tries hard to impress the firm, and the firm wines and dines the students to make sure they come back if they get an offer (and most do). Anyway, at the risk of giving out too much detail, I'm in my second summer job, and still have another year of school (ugh) before I get to study for the bar (double ugh) and have to grow up (triple ugh).

Anonymous said...

Yay, Pink! I'm proud of you and am glad you are in an environment where you are able to take this step.

Also, your mixture of snobbery and elusiveness is tantalizing and titillating to this straight girl! ;)

Love you babe! And congrats again....