Wednesday, June 6, 2007

JFK terrorists

Yeah, yeah, I know I'm a little behind on the attempted terror plot at JFK airport. I blame that on work and not having a usable laptop power cord (which will change this weekend as Friday is payday!!!!). However, because just yesterday the fourth suspected terrorist surrenendered, it gives me something of a reason to post on it now.

Now many are pointing to the fact that these guys are more like Larry, Curly, and Moe (and I guess now, Shemp) trying to perpetrate a plot. We heard Similar murmurings about the Fort Dix Six. Honestly, I don't care how amateurish these plots were. Last I checked, the generally accepted elements for an attempt crime were 1) The intent necessary to perpetrate the crime, and 2) some action taken in furtherance of the plot (naturally what sort of action this requires is the subject of considerable debate, but I'd bet that obtaining photgraphs of the target, soliciting financial and technical assistance, and recruiting others qualifies).

Assuming we can prove these elements (which oughtn't be too hard unless evidentiary rules exclude the recorded conversations, a distinct possibility) then, to cautiously paraphrase George Tenet, this should be a slam dunk.

I'm not going to advocate torture (wink), but even if these guys are the Three Stooges of the terrorist world, I think it perfectly approriate to interrogate them (aggressively) for information on other more urgent terrorist threats. Then punish them to the fullest extent of the law.

And like Alan Shore, I know I'll get letters.

No comments: