Sunday, August 26, 2007

What am I doing?

I am taking environmental law this semester. This may surprise you; it does me. Of course I could be cynical and say "I need to know the enemy [in this case burdensome environmental regulations]." That's not really it, though. It's about the Professor. You can practically smell the leftwing on her, but nonetheless she is engaging, smart and has a sense of humor. Most importantly, not only does she tolerate me in class (I've had her before), but she actually values that I often have a divergent point of view. Weird, huh?

Anyway, I am bringing it up because right now I am reading my first assignment for that class and my eyes are rolling out of their sockets. I'm reading about the dark years (as far as I am concerned) of 1965-1980 when the regulatory state started gaining real momentum. Siiiiigh.

PS sorry about my delinquency in blogging. I've been getting settled in at school.

Update: The class got off to a great start. In the first few minutes the professor picked on me a bit for being the "cold, economic type." Then she contrasted me with other students who may be of the radical "trees have feelings" variety. It's fairly clear that I can be relied upon to voice a viewpoint that few others interested in environmental law might hold.

2 comments:

Pete said...

I guess they're not going to make you read Rachel Carson but that book is the root of all evil, as far as I'm concerned.

Tim in the South said...

Wow! It sounds like me and your law professor are the same person! Especially the smart and engaging part.

I want to wish you all the best in the year to come. I look forward to our continued discussions. I hope that as your cranium expands you'll take it a little easy on this poor product of a public liberal arts education.

By the way, I'm now on a Mac! My descent into liberal hell is now complete!